We are SKCV Children's Trust; a registered charity dedicated to helping street children rebuild their lives. SKCV was founded by Matthew Norton, the son of a Cheshire GP.
Matthew had been working to ease the desparate plight of India's forgotten street children for over 20 years until his untimely death in June, 2009. Recognised as one of the foremost experts in this field, we aim to continue and maintain the legacy of his work.
SKCV stands for Street Kids' Community Villages because that is what we do; we provide homes for destitute children in a community village. We are based in Vijayawada, a large city in south India where 22,000 children live literally on the streets, railway stations and in shanty towns.
Street children need more than just a roof over their heads and medical care. They need a permanent alternative to the street. That’s why we give them not just a home nut an education. We want them to have the kinds of choices we would all want for our own children.
Our work has been recognised by the Indian and UK governments, the British Overseas Development Agency and international charities such as Water Aid.
We belong to the Consortium for Street Children and the Railway Children Federation. We work with a number of other NGOs to develop new ways of supporting street children and we have published a unique manual to be used by those working with street children anywhere in the world.
Take a few minutes to look at this short film to get a sense of what SKCV is all about. It provides an introduction to the SKCV boys village, situated by the banks of the River Krishna in Vijayawada in southern India.
Want to see more?
- New look SKCV!
- SKCV gift collection
- Matthew would be proud
- Rotary Club of Newport Uskmouth
- UK events
- Amodini and Prema Vihar updates
How Can You Help?
- Make a donation - of money or time - organise an event, small or large: fair, coffee morning, fashion show, concert
- Sponsor a child - £30 per month
- Give ’green credits’ - fund low energy and sustainable initiatives: Solar power, land preparation for crops, wormeries, biogas maintenance, cattle feed
- Use our Gift Scheme - inspiring and worthwhile gifts for that special celebration in place of book tokens or socks! See ‘resources’ to download fact sheets and posters